This past summer saw the launch of Brightspace at UVM and there have been a myriad of “behind the scenes” technical details to attend to! Staff from Enterprise Technology Systems, the Registrar’s Office, Office of Institutional Research and Assessment, and the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity tackled some complex issues that paved the way for next stage of the implementation: general access to Brightspace for faculty and staff.
Our main goal for AY 22 –23 is supporting faculty and academic staff as they learn Brightspace. As indicated on the Timeline page of this site, all UVM courses will be live on Brightspace by Fall 2023. There are also opportunities to volunteer to teach small-scale pilots this coming Summer. Our main focus this year is to help everyone who needs/wants, to be able to teach with confidence in Brightspace by Fall 2023.
The Center for Teaching and Learning, Professional and Continuing Education, and the ETS TechTeam have been learning the ins and outs of using Brightspace. As is the case with learning new technologies, there is “un-learning” that needs to occur, including some “where did they put that” moments, and “what’s that called again?” questions. All told, the team reports that there are many aspects about Brightspace to be excited about!
Some initial observations:
- Brightspace is a robust application with many features and tools. However, you don’t have to be a power user and “go big.” Brightspace has entry ramps for novice users and folks who want to build up their skills over time.
- Brightspace has many tools to support student academic success, such as:
- conditional release features
- “Intelligent Agents”
- the ability for instructors to easily provide video/audio feedback (with just a couple of clicks) throughout the course, and
- course-level analytics that provide useful information about how students are accessing course content and assignments
- Brightspace has a clean user interface that supports Universal Design for Learning and has tools to create accessible course materials in the system (I.e., automatic transcription for video/audio, ubiquitous “Accessibility Checker” in the text editor).
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org