Skip to content
What is the Field of Statistics?
- Statistics is mathematical science involving the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data.
- Statistical knowledge helps you use the proper methods to collect the data, employ the correct analyses, and effectively present the results.
- “Statistics lead to key discoveries and innovation, and enables policymakers and educators to make sound data-based decisions” -Dean Pantula of Oregon State University
Goals of Writing a Statistics Report
- To effectively communicate the results of statistical studies.
- Statistics tell a story with numerical data.
Some Types of Statistics Reports (there are many more)
- Biostatistics- Statistics related to the medical field.
- Actuarial science- Risk assessment in the insurance and finance industries.
- Environmental statistics- Assessment of weather, air and water quality are some examples.
- Demography- Study of populations.
- Psychometrics- Measures education and psychological knowledge.
- Consider your audience: You are writing for someone who is interested in the topic but knows little about statistics or the specific problem being answered. You do not need to explain the basic principles of statistical analysis.
- Be clear and concise. Good reports are usually not long. Exclude non-essential information, even if that information took a while to obtain.
- Different fields of study have their own conventions regarding how the report should look. Make sure to look to sample papers from the field that you are writing in.
- Reports should be attractive and easy to navigate through the use of headings, page numbers, and labels for figures.